Many Christians will tell you that “The Bible is The Word Of God”—but when I read certain passages of the Bible, I see the machinations of Men, not God.
One verse that stands out for me as having been “Written by men and FOR men”in a big way is “Romans 13” . Let’s examine it and I think you’ll see what I mean .
(Certain passages have been capitalized by me for emphasis)
1). Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, FOR THERE IS NO AUTHORITY EXCEPT WHAT GOD HAS ESTABLISHED. THE AUTHORITIES THAT EXIST HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED BY GOD.
(So “The State”=GOD How convenient for them!)
2) Consequently, WHOEVER REBELS AGAINST AUTHORITY IS REBELLING AGAINST WHAT GOD HAS INSTITUTED—– and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
(So rebelling against “The State”=Rebelling against God.See a pattern here? Had we as Americans believed this, we would have never rebelled against Great Britain. Lets go on.)
3) For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? THEN DO WHAT IS RIGHT AND YOU WILL BE COMMENDED.
(So as long as you do what the Government says,you’ll be fine.)
Again, does this sound like the Creator of the universe talking? Or the convenient linking OF that “creator” with a small group of men trying to control everyone for their own personal benefit and power?
Lets go on—-
4) FOR THE ONE IN AUTHORITY IS IS GODS SERVANT FOR YOUR GOOD. But IF YOU DO WRONG BE AFRAID, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. THEY ARE GOD’S SERVANTS,AGENTS OF WRATH TO BRING PUNISHMENT ON THE WRONGDOER.
“Agents of Wrath” ?? Does this sound like “the Words of a Loving God”??
Not only that, this passage justifies any violence that the state wishes to carry out against anyone who goes against their will by classifying their enemies as “wrongdoers”
5) THEREFORE IT IS NECESSARY TO SUBMIT TO THE AUTHORITIES, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
6) THIS IS WHY YOU PAY TAXES(See what they did there? LOL) for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing.
7) Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
I chose “Romans 13” to make my point because “Romans 13” was Hitlers favorite Bible passage, and it is used as a way to equate the power (And abuses) of the State with God.
It is also a very commonly quoted as a way to stifle rebellion against those who abuse power,and it is proof positive that at least SOME of “The Bible” was definitely NOT “Inspired by God” but was written by Men with power FOR men with power.
This is why I could never be a Christian, or belong to any other “Organized Religion” for that matter.
In my opinion, “God” or “The creative force behind this reality” doesn’t “pick and chose who rules over us and who speaks for us.”
God speaks thru all of us.
We don’t need the middle man.